I finished the curtains in the living room. I did the window first. I thought it would be easier. The instructions I had were for 3 triangles in one window, and I just wanted 1 triangle. They also instructed me to mount on a board (like a cornice I’m guessing) but I wanted to use a standard rod. So, that meant I basically had to design my own and it was not exactly easy. It turned out fine though. It took me longer to measure, think, measure again, and think again than it did to do the actual sewing. Brian helped me hang the rod. Thanks! Overall, it took an evening (after Sam went to bed). Not bad.
I was putting off the one for the door. I was nervous about making a rod pocket for the already existing blinds’ valance. I wasn’t sure I would be able to mount it back, but I didn’t really have another option. Magnetic rods are not made with a projection, so I couldn’t find one that would give me enough room to go around the blinds. I finally just did it. It didn’t turn out correctly, so I thought I would have to start over (luckily, I have about 1.5 yards of the material remaining). However, I had a stroke of genius and decided to bust out the hot glue gun. It was the best idea I had! It turned out great, and I should have thought of that long ago!
All in all I like them, although I think they look weird because they are 2 different sizes. However, the window and the door are different sizes, so I knew it would be like that. It just looks weird because everything on that wall is symmetrical except for the new curtains.
Here’s the door:
I’ve decided to tackle curtains for the living room. I’ll let you know how it goes.
I’m pooped. I’ve been working a lot, so that doesn’t leave much time for photography or updating one’s website.
We have enjoyed a few weekends at home after a busy April. Catching up on little things makes me feel better. I’ve been decorating a little bit. I feel like I’m horrible at decorating a house, so I’ve been trying to put my style into the house just a bit. Not a moment too soon, since we’ve been here for nearly 6 years…
Samantha had her 18 months checkup last week. She’s growing well and very average. Everything was right on, except for her speech. She’s not saying as many words as is normal at this age. I’m not worried about it because the girl “talks” constantly and I know words will come in due time. The doctor is not worried about it because her “receptive” language is good. She really does understand exactly what we say. She knows most of her body parts and all sorts of other everyday words. However, her lack of words may be due to the fact that she has yet another ear infection. The doctor said it’s time to go to an ENT and get tubes. Having constant ear infections can make sounds muffled, so she may not be hearing properly, therefore her speech will be affected. I’m not totally convinced that it’s the right course of action, but we at least need to give it a try (going to the ENT that is). They might have other options for us.
Happy Cinco de Mayo! I feel like I should make this my blog since everybody else is doing it. 🙂 By the way, Lettie, I am now a Nester fan. I just wish I had the courage to start putting holes in my walls like she does (and not worry about patching them) and have an eye for cute fabric. I just don’t have that.
Anyway, let’s see what’s been going on the past few weeks. Samantha is sick *AGAIN*. She’s a true Daycare Kid. That means, you guessed it, Brian is sick AGAIN. Which means, I’ll be sick soon. We go back to the doctor this week to check up on her ear, but I have a feeling he’s going to tell us that she has another ear infection in the other ear. This time, she’s been pulling it. Mom said, “Maybe she has just found her ears.” I don’t think so. She’s been on antibiotics, but I don’t guess that matters.
For those of you that know my nephew, Jackson, you might remember his open mouth kisses. Samantha has started kissing just like that! It’s open mouth, tongue, wet and slobbery, but oh so sweet.