Okay, I forgot (okay, well, I was putting it off) to set up redirects for links pointing to stuff on the old website to stuff on our new site. This meant that your RSS reader never saw any updates for us since December 29. Now those old RSS feed URLs should permanently redirect you to the new RSS feeds. Similarly, Google’s index still contains old links and I’m sending those visitors to a landing page. Soon I should have that landing page automatically do a search here for the same content the user searched for originally. It’s not perfect, but it’s just about the only thing I think I can do.
The search engine I was evaluating worked for a while. I noticed that when I tried to reindex the website, the index was broken. Although it was probably a pilot error, I removed it from the website. I’m working on a new project at home to build my own search engine with the help of some sweet projects at Apache Jakarta: Lucene, HttpClient and CyberNeko HTML Parser. For all of you programmers who balk at Java, I have one thing to say to you: you’re missing out.
Well, I added a search engine to the website. I don’t know how much use it will get on mauter.com, but I’ve been thinking about putting a new search engine on the website I have at work. This is sort of an evaluation. But hey, it’s free! I’m using the excellent Java Search Engine. It’s really fast and pretty darn accurate. Let me know if you like it.